Lead Integration Engineer
Location: California City
Posted on: September 18, 2022
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Engineering
Division has an immediate opening for a Lead Integration Engineer
to join the team.
ALS-U is an upgrade project that received approval of its cost,
schedule, and performance baseline in April 2021. The project has a
total project cost of $590 million and a project team of about 200
people. Early completion of the project is planned for fiscal year
2027. The project will transform the Advanced Light Source, which
is a Department of Energy (DOE) user facility serving over 2,000
national and international users every year. ALS-U will provide a
world-leading soft x-ray light source using a multi-bend-achromat
lattice and increase brightness and coherent flux by more than 2
orders of magnitude compared to the current ALS. The project scope
includes design, procurement, installation, and commissioning of
new a storage ring, an accumulator ring, transfer lines, two new
and two upgraded beamlines, along with the realignment of existing
As part of a project-wide support team, the ALS-U Lead Integration
Engineer will work to ensure the technical components of the
project are functionally integrated across the project and between
the project and the existing ALS facility. During the design phase,
responsibilities revolve around integrating the design to achieve
an overall system- level design that meets all technical
requirements, including performance, manufacturability,
installability, and maintainability. As the project transitions to
its execution phase, the responsibilities shift to address assembly
and installation integration issues.
The position will report to the ALS-U Chief Engineer.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with the Accelerator Systems, Accelerator Removal &
Installation, and Beamlines system managers to identify and address
integration issues arising at the interfaces between subsystems and
- Lead design integration efforts through integration meetings,
focused integration sprint activities, and working with individual
subsystems, as needed.
- Working with subsystem subject matter experts, develop and
execute an integration plan that addresses broad integration issues
to ensure that the project meets its technical requirements.
- Work closely with project engineers, designers, and technical
staff in support of project-wide integration.
- Proactively raise awareness of integration issues and work with
the System Managers, Control Account Managers, and Technical Leads
to address integration scope issues within each of their areas of
- Assess the pace of integration and align the integration work
with major project milestones, subsystem component maturation, and
assembly and installation schedules.
- Utilize Interface Control Documents and Drawings as tools to
enhance, document, and control integration and interface
- Lead and manage external reviews of project integration
- Represent the project's integration work at project-level
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Supervise the work of technical and professional staff.
What is Required:
- 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree in
Mechanical Engineering or a related field; or 6 years and a
Master's degree; or equivalent experience.
- Experience in technical integration of medium to large sized
- Experience in managing mechanical integration and interfaces
between mechanical and electrical subsystems.
- Experience managing project teams.
- Experience in technical management; demonstrated performance in
delivery of technical systems within schedule and budget.
- Experience leading and providing technical direction
effectively in a team environment.
- Extensive experience using PTC Creo Parametric
computer-aided-design software to support integration activities
during design, assembly, and/or installation phases, including
large assembly management.
- Experience using PTC Windchill software.
- Demonstrated ability in technical leadership of complex design
and engineering projects, preferably for large one-of-a-kind
- Effective technical communication skills for bridging,
clarifying, and negotiating the needs and desires at the interface
between disparate subsystems; communicating across different levels
of the project.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills amidst a cross functional
- The ability to bring about efficient and timely decision making
within a mixed-hierarchy organization.
- Deep expertise and experience in mechanical engineering,
mechatronics, or other relevant engineering fields.
- The ability to discern higher-priority and urgent issues from
others; having a good understanding of one's role and
responsibility within a large project team.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize issues and potential issues
and develop and execute methods to address them.
- Master's level degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Experience with large-scale engineering projects and/or
operations and maintenance of large user facilities, complex
experiments, or industrial installation.
- Experience in technical integration of electrical
- Experience in technical systems engineering as applied to
one-of-a-kind scientific instruments of significant scale.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in accelerator and
- Adaptability and desire to learn new skills and
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a career appointment.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Classification will depend upon the applicant's level of
skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley
Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty,
students, and staff who share our commitment to these values.
Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate
evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any
convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate
to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a
conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant
from being considered for employment.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA
Learn About Us:
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab strongly recommends that all
members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as
they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a
Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in
the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full
Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and
Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community
with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal
Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome
applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would
contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery,
inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global
community, all qualified applicants will be considered for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or
protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights,
click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the
Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41
Keywords: LBL, Lancaster , Lead Integration Engineer, Engineering , California City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!