Assistant Director of Housing and Homeless Service
Company: Mental Health America of Los Angeles
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job Description ***** Assistant Director of Housing and Homeless
Services *****Supervision Responsibilities: Under the general
direction of the Director of Housing and Homeless Services, the
Assistant Director will provide leadership and oversight of program
implementation for MHALA's Intensive Case Management Services
(ICMS) located in the Antelope Valley and Santa Clarita areas. The
Assistant Director will ensure that proper documentation,
contractual occupancy, and statistical data are maintained and
accurately reported to program funder and reflected in appropriate
database. Additionally, the Assistant Director will review reports
to ensure accuracy and that contractual outcomes are met. Summary:
The Assistant Director will provide general oversight to the
Program Manager(s), Program Coordinator(s) and Direct Service Staff
during program and service related activities; support staff in the
delivery of services, and ensure that programs operates within
program guidelines.Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This is
not an exhaustive task list, and other duties may be assigned as
appropriate by the supervisor. Reasonable accommodation will be
provided to any qualified person with a disability, providing it
will not change the essential nature of the position, nor cause
undue hardship to the Agency's operations. MHALA is an equal
opportunity employer and service provider. The Agency will consider
candidates with criminal history.
- Responsible for assisting the Director of Housing and Homeless
Services in providing program oversight, analysis, preparation and
monitoring of the program budget, and billing goals that aligns
with program funding streams, and its targeted fiscal year (FY)
goals. Oversees and ensures programs monthly, quarterly, and yearly
data reporting to ensure accurate and timely submission and
- Assist Program Director in providing leadership and oversight
of the team and work with the team to ensure excellent care and
services are provided to members.
- Serves as a point-of-contact of all DHS contracted programs,
including programs connected with the Department of Mental Health
(DMH), the Los Angeles Homeless Service Authority (LAHSA) and the
Los Angeles County Development Authority (LACDA).
- Leads and participates in regular scheduled meetings with
department managers and coordinators.
- Provides and coordinates crisis support to direct service
- Ensure compliance with DHS, DHM, LAHSA and MHALA
- Oversees coordination of enrollments, discharges, and transfers
of program members.
- Attends planning and administrative meetings as required by
MHALA and funding sources as deemed necessary by the Program
Director. In the absences of the Director, the Assistant Director
will coordinate, lead, and moderate management, team, all-staff
meetings, and other internal self-governing groups. As needed,
participates actively in mental health consumer/coalition,
community involvement and constituency groups. As needed makes
presentations, self-help, recovery, consumer advocacy and other
emergent topics to professionals, consumers, family and other
groups as requested or required.
- Provide ongoing strategic direction in the absence of the
Director, offers support and training to direct service staff;
provides leadership in developing and refining program enhancement
and procedures in collaboration with the Program Director.
- Establish and preserve relationships with our partners,
landlords, members of the community. Works to establish excellent
collaborative relationships with other agency
- Works in collaboration with the Program Director to help create
and support agency-wide, strategic program initiatives.
- Work closely with agency leadership, including Development,
Finance, Intern Evaluation/Contracts, Training, Real Estate, HR,
and Policy around initiatives and issues connected with
- In the absence of Director, trains, staff in accordance with
organizational policy and applicable laws and regulations. Provides
direct supervision for interns within the team for day to day
- Provide oversight and ongoing communication of all employee
related matter, such as petty cash, timesheets, mileage and ongoing
employee relations, etc.
- Conducts timely annual performance evaluations and ensure
submission to HR
- Ensure that staff attends and completes required trainings;
Consult with HR regarding employee relations and staff performance
- Actively participates in the hiring process and onboarding
- Ensure ongoing data quality assurance checks of member files;
ensure all notes and data collection are complete, and entered in a
timely in the database through on going chart reviewsPosition
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills; excellent
organizational skills and the ability to multitask and manage
stress in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum of one year of leadership experience in a non-profit
social service agency.
- Bachelor's degree in human services or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; tact and
diplomacy; excellent relationship building skills; exceptional
ability to communicate articulately and effectively in large group
- Outstanding team building and facilitation skills; ability to
build consensus and seek input.
- Extensive experience working with individuals experiencing
mental health needs, physical health problems, substance use
problems, poverty, and homelessness.
- Knowledge and experience in the mental health field; ability to
handle complex crisis situations.
- Demonstrated ability to provide supervision and leadership to
diverse staff who possess a wide range of skills, abilities and
- Proven success developing and evaluating program models, and
selecting and successfully operationalizing existing and innovative
- Knowledge of community resources and experience building
- Proficient in computer applications such as Microsoft Word,
Excel and Outlook with previous budgeting experience
- Flexible work schedule to include some evenings or weekends
- Driving with current class C driver's license, a vehicle for
transportation, and proof of valid automobile. insurance, the
ability to be ensured by MHA liability insurance are conditions of
- Will pursue LPS designation if/when eligible in order to
facilitate involuntary holds when needed and on call coverage must
be provided according to contract requirements.
- TB clearance and re-testing every year are conditions of
- COVID-19 vaccination is required for this position.
Accommodations will be considered with proof of a legal
Keywords: Mental Health America of Los Angeles, Lancaster , Assistant Director of Housing and Homeless Service, Executive , Lancaster, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!