Nurse Practitioner - Veteran's Clinic
Company: STG International Inc
Posted on: August 26, 2020
Family Practice/Primary Care opening in Lancaster, California.
This and other nurse practitioner jobs brought to you by
NursingJobCafe.com STG International (STGi) is currently seeking a
Full-time Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) to
provide services at our Community Based Outpatient Clinic. The
general duty of the Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant
(PA) is to provide professional clinical services under the
direction of the Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) Primary
Care Provider (PCP). The NP or PA is an Advanced Practice
Generalist who provides a wide range of health services, including
urgent and emergent evaluation of episodic and chronic problems;
and comprehensive, integrated primary health care which addresses a
majority of the client's health care needs on an ongoing basis. The
NP or PA is knowledgeable in the assessment, treatment and
evaluation of a comprehensive range of health care problems;
emergency measures; preventive health; prescribing medications and
other treatments; ordering, conducting, interpreting laboratory,
diagnostic studies and procedures; and patient and family education
utilizing community, social, and health resources. The NP or PA
maintains knowledge of current practice, acts as role model and
mentor to others, acts as client advocate, and participates in
professional activities at local and state level. These duties
- Provides primary and preventive medical care to meet the needs
(physical, mental, and emotional) of patients under a limited scope
of Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes and within his/her
skills and training.
- Provides medical patient care to the scope and standards of
practice established by a nationally recognized credentialing
organization representing Nurse Practitioners and/or Physician
- Functions within the scope of practice of the state), the Joint
Commission standards and Officer of the Inspector General.
- Works closely with the Patient Aliened Care Team (PACT) and
extended support staff including daily huddles with the team.
- Emphasizes wellness, prevention, and early detection.
- Supervises support staff in delivery of care to patients.
- Maintains universal precautions and infection control
- Provides smooth and timely flow of patients in accordance with
the Veteran Administration's (VA) access standards and triage
- Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and assisting
during respiratory and cardiac arrest procedures.
- Investigates health problems or health needs by gathering and
assessing historical information.
- Performs a physical examination appropriate to the patient's
- Diagnoses health problems based on interpretation of the
patient's history, physical exam findings, and diagnostic test
- Develops a treatment plan, tailored to the patient's needs,
which includes health education, pharmacologic and
- Prescribes medications, as appropriate.
- Evaluates the results of the treatment plan, modifying the plan
as needed to achieve the treatment goals.
- Makes referrals for specialty evaluation or treatment.
- Directs and coordinates the provision of health care services
for patients in primary care, i.e., walk in patients.
- Provides a model for clinical practice within the clinic
- Sets up and operates therapeutic and emergency equipment,
including monitor, electrocardiogram (EKG), oxygen, automatic
electronic defibrillator (AED) and portable suction.
- Obtains patient history on new and follow-up and record
appropriate findings according to VA standards.
- Performs initial and periodic physical examinations within
limits of privileges and record findings.
- Orders diagnostic tests according to the chief complaint,
physical and emotional/mental findings and symptoms.
- Demonstrates the knowledge of pharmacology.
- Prescribes and administers medication within limits of
privileges and state and federal regulations.
- Recommends and follows up on laboratory tests and specialized
diagnostic procedures, as deemed necessary.
- Documents all pertinent patient information in the medical
records and Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology
Architecture (VISTA) to demonstrate quality care delivery and
promote continuity of care.
- Keeps the VISTA clinic reminder tracking system current for
each enrolled patient.
- Closes patient charts within 24-72 hours of encounter and
places Return to Clinic (RTC) orders promptly.
- Assists in scheduling patients for initial and follow-up
appointments in accordance with the VA's access standards and the
patient's medical necessity.
- Keeps patients informed of their plan of care, including lab
and diagnostic test results as needed.
- Provides health educational materials, resources and education
to patients and their families for informational purposes and in
accordance to their need and learning capacity.
- Assists the Registered Nurse to ensure all patient information
on electronic encounter documentation is complete and
- Complies with all federal, state, local, Joint Commission,
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Veteran
Affairs, and Subcontractor safety and operational regulations,
directives and standards.
- Participates in the ongoing Performance Improvement Program
between the VAMC and STGi Performance Excellence program including
regularly scheduled peer reviews.
- Ensures that all required reports and clinical information is
completed in an accurate, timely and complete fashion.
- Participates in staff development programs.
- Performs other clinical duties assigned within limits of
- Maintains confidentiality of all information and supporting
patients' privacy, rights, and safety.
- Aids in management/coordination of the CBOC's day-to-day
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned. Required
- Must possess a Master's Degree in Nursing with completion of a
university-based program for Nurse Practitioner.
- Must possess relevant certification from American Nurses
Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. Nurse
practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse
practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program
accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE, and maintain full and current
certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses
Association or another nationally recognized certifying body.
(APRN's must be certified in Family Practice or Adult to
- A bachelor's degree from a PA training program which is
certified by the CAHEA; Or Graduation from a PA training program of
at least twelve (12) months duration, which is certified by the
CAHEA and a bachelor's degree in a health care occupation or health
- The duration of approved academic training and health care
experience must total at least five (5) years. Authorization for
prescriptive authority is required.
- PAs must be certified by the NCCPA.
Keywords: STG International Inc, Lancaster , Nurse Practitioner - Veteran's Clinic, Healthcare , Lancaster, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!