Medical Social Worker III, LCSW - Per Diem
Posted on: March 18, 2023
The Medical Social Worker III provides assessments,
coordination, and implementation/evaluation of professional social
services to patients and their families in order to aid them in
coping with social, emotional, and economic difficulties related to
medical problems or which predispose to illness.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities, and applicable state, federal and local
QUALITY OF CLINICAL SERVICES
- The Medical Social Worker III provides quality services by
assessing patient/family system needs then developing and
implementing treatment plans in accordance with departmental and
medical center policies. Quality of clinical services is indicated
by QM findings, documentation review, case presentations, staff and
patient feedback and supervisory discussions.
- Performs a bio-psychosocial assessment interview with patient,
family, and/or significant other according to department policy and
- Provides appropriate crisis intervention/treatment to adults,
children and families in emergent situations including assessment,
counseling, information/referral and providing consultation to
physicians and healthcare team.
- Provides a professional interpretation of patients condition
(i.e., situation, affect,behavior and verbal content) and
recommends appropriate psycho-social intervention(s) and/or
- Develops culturally sensitive assessment that reflects
department standards and includes: reason for referral; source of
referral; informant name; physical/medical issues; interpersonal
and social relations; emotional/psychiatric/adjustment; issues
including depression; role performance/social transition; community
planning/resources/social transition; legal/protective issues (as
- Provides appropriate counseling services to patient and/or
family based on clinical assessment and consistent with patients
on-going medical condition/needs.
- Performs relevant patient and family advocacy services within
KP and the community.
- Provides patient education on subjects related to psycho-social
adjustments to medical illness, individually, in classes or
- The Medical Social Worker III takes responsibility for
implementation of social work knowledge and values, standards of
practice and enhancement of professional skills as demonstrated by
documentation reviews, case presentations, staff and patient
feedback, supervisory discussions, and attendance at
- Assessment demonstrates ability to interpret the social,
emotional and behavioral problems/elements as they related to
patients medical condition and treatment.
- Knowledge of availability of KP and community resources
consistent with treatment goals.
- Utilizes professional knowledge in facilitating staff and other
- Demonstrates knowledge of and observes department polices and
- Utilizes formal and informal education opportunities to
increase professional knowledge base as demonstrated by attendance
at appropriate and approved
- Demonstrates the integration of clinical social work theory
into practice by appropriately utilizing clinical knowledge of
bio-psychosocial development stages, personality development, human
behavior, etc., to formulate assessment, direct treatment, and
provide consultation and education to other team members.
- NEONATES: Substance Abuse, Parent/Infant Bonding, Family
Relationships, Safety, Developmental Milestones, Parental
- PEDIATRICS: Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting, Substance Abuse,
Safety, Legal, Parent/Guardian/Child Relationships, Developmental
Milestones, Family Relationships, Peer Group, School/Academic
- ADOLESCENT: Abuse/Neglect Reporting, Substance Abuse,
Developmental Milestones, Family Relationships, Peer Group
Relationships, Sexuality, Education
- ADULT: Abuse/Neglect Reporting, Substance Abuse, Adequacy of
Self-Care, Developmental Milestones, Sexuality, Family
- GERIATRIC: Elder Abuse/Neglect Reporting, Substance Abuse,
Adequacy Of Self Care, Support System, Developmental Milestones,
Mental Status/Competency, Mortality.
- EOL (End of Life Option):
- Regulatory data reporting, process coordination, assist
Members/Physicians with California End of Life Option Act.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and the level of work being performed by the individuals
assigned to this position and as such are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and
skills required of personnel so classified.
- Functions as an effective team member, consultant, and liaison
to medical, nursing, ancillary staff, and to community agencies.
This is measured by staff feedback, observation by supervisor, QM
evaluations, and written communications.
- Demonstrates an interdisciplinary approach, competent follow-up
and communication of accurate information to team members.
- Assumes responsibility for patient, staff and system problems
as indicated by requests for involvement.
- Demonstrates awareness of the Departments mission, scope and
vision in the context of the Medical Centers structure.
- As measured by established standards, maintains good rapport
- Peers and colleagues
- Other health care team members.
- Educates physicians and staff regarding the role of the social
worker and the importance of addressing bio-psychosocial issues for
quality patient care and services.
- Demonstrates professional behavior and interventions are
consistent with departmental policies and procedures, JCAHO,
Title22, and NCQA legal mandates, professional standards, NASW,
ABECSW, and other Medical Center Guidelines.
- Utilizes supervision and consultation appropriately as
indicated by regular attendance at
- supervisory/consultation sessions, identifying and discussing
problem cases/situation with supervisor and seeking consultation
- Contributes and shares community resource with colleagues.
- Represents the Department in appropriate medical center and/or
- Identifies improvement opportunities for the department or work
area and communicates ideas to supervisor.
- Participates in Quality Management activities based on member
needs, organizational goals, and professional standards.
- Identifies and participates in the solution to system
- Attends and occasionally facilitates staff/education
- Avoids unscheduled absences, arrives at work at scheduled times
and takes action to avoid recurring absences.
- Plans and submits elected time off in advance.
- Exhibits standards of professional behavior in compliance with
Regional Quality of Service Guidelines.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding patient and/or family
issues in accordance with the Medical Center policy and
- Demonstrates knowledge of and complies with Fire &Safety,
Disaster, Universal Precautions and Infectious Disease policy and
- Works in a self-directed manner as demonstrated by requesting
assistance when clinical case or situation is beyond experience or
- May provide mentorship and/or clinical supervision for SW II,
new worker or graduate student.
- Maintains patient access, and meets established standards for
effectiveness and efficiency. Prioritizes,plans and organizes
workload need within assigned hours.
- Case finds and screens high-risk patients according to
- Spends at least 70% of time in direct service activity.
- Responds to referrals with departmentally delineated time
- Completes and submits statistics in accordance with
Departmental policies and procedures.
- Documents interventions in appropriate formats, legibly and
within department time frames.
- Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and the level of work being preformed by the
individuals assigned to this position and as such are not intended
to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties
and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Minimum one (1) year experience working as a MSW in medical
acute care setting or as part of a medical team. MSW internships
will be considered as part of experience.
- Medical Social Worker - End of Life Option: If position posted
is for an End of Life role, experience requirement is: Minimum one
(1) year of experience, within the last three (3) years, working as
a MSW in end of life care and counseling.
- Masters Degree in Social Work issued by a school accredited by
the Counsel of Social Work Education.
License, Certification, Registration
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (California)
- Following language applies to End of Life Option positions
- Current CA Drivers License, clear driving record for the past
two (2) years and proof of automobile insurance as required by
- Following language applies to Home Health, Hospice and
Palliative positions only. . click apply for full job details
Keywords: Kaiser, Lancaster , Medical Social Worker III, LCSW - Per Diem, Healthcare , Lancaster, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...