Our business is real estate, but
our organization is so much more than bricks and mortar, beautiful
buildings and well-managed properties. Our business is about people
who need a place to call home and the people of Michaels who make
it all happen.
The Maintenance Superintendent is
responsible, under the direction of the Community Manager or
Maintenance Manager, for the overall maintenance of one or more
1. Participate in all maintenance projects,
including periodically inspecting all units, buildings and common
areas; performing repairs and janitorial assistance as needed as
well as specific maintenance as detailed below.
2. Schedule work order requests, adhering
to maintenance priorities.
3. Coordinate maintenance related
contractor activities, may negotiate contracts and scope of
4. Be responsible for stock control and
utilization of maintenance materials, as well as the training of
maintenance technicians and coworkers.
5. Keep accurate records regarding
preventive maintenance, work orders, apartment refurbishing, annual
inspections, inventories, purchase orders, and have full knowledge
regarding contracts and suppliers, their services and goods.
6. Assist the Community Manager or
Maintenance Manager in scheduling annual apartment inspections and
during apartment move-in and move-out inspections.
7. Responsible for performing detail
maintenance procedures including, but not limited to those listed
a. Perform light electrical repairs on items such as appliances,
fixtures, switches, outlets, circuits, etc.
b. Perform light plumbing work, such as clearing stoppages,
replacing fittings, etc.
c. Replace broken glass, tile, carpet, screens, garbage disposals,
fixtures, appliances, draperies, locks.
d. Perform carpentry work, such as fitting doors, freeing windows,
replacing and building shelves, sanding and refinishing floors.
e. Painting, to include interior and exterior.
f. Assist in custodial work, including sweeping, mopping,
vacuuming, emptying trash, cleaning windows, etc., in common
g. Repair concrete, masonry, roof, fencing, when required.
h. Assist Exterminator when required.
8. Participate in an on-call schedule for
evening, weekend, holiday and emergency coverage.
9. Make sure storage areas and entrances
are locked and adequate lighting is maintained.
10. Adhere to and stay current on all
applicable building codes.
11. Have knowledge regarding water and gas
meter cut-offs, all apartment and fixture cut-offs, and sewer
clean-outs and post map of same. Operates within OSHA standards and
company safety policies and procedures at all times.
12. Perform scheduled maintenance on all
equipment based on the manufacturers’ recommendations and operating
13. Ensure effective, timely and
professional interactions with residents, contractors and property
management team on all maintenance services provided.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
- 3 or more year’s full-time maintenance experience or experience
in related field.
- Residential Property maintenance experience preferred.
- Formal training or experience in the following areas: carpentry,
light plumbing work, light electrical
- work, painting, refurbishing and cleaning, air-conditioning.
- Any specific skill required by the property.
- Willingness to assist with and work in areas other than strictly
repair maintenance; such as janitorial, custodial, gardening,
- Boiler license, when required by property facilities.
- Familiarity with contract work hours and OSHA Standards is
Education/Training: List education &/or training
required to perform the job
- High School degree or equivalent trade-related courses
- Any college or advanced technical training is preferred.
- Any specific certifications required by the property.
Required Skills and
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required
- Mechanical/Trade skills and abilities as listed in required
- Ability to work with co-workers and residents professionally in a
- Must have ability to work safely and follow safety
- Requires the ability to read, speak and comprehend work
instructions and safety notices in the English language.
- Work conditions will vary from clean rental units to extremely
dirty jobs such as plumbing repair and grounds work
- Will be exposed to cleaning solvents, paint fumes, dust, sharp
objects and live electrical wiring.
- Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, holiday and on-call
hours when required.