Mechanical Engineer - Vacuum Systems Lead
Location: California City
Posted on: September 19, 2022
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Engineering
Division has an immediate opening for a Mechanical Engineer to join
In this exciting role, you will join the Engineering Division to
work within the Advanced Light Source Upgrade project Vacuum team
to support the development of the accumulator ring and storage ring
vacuum system mechanical design, analysis, prototyping,
fabrication, and procurement. You will perform 3D CAD design work,
provide the supporting structural and thermal analysis, identify
and develop fabrication methods, generate supporting cost and
schedule information, and develop procurement packages and
specification documents. You will work together with physicists and
other engineers to capture, negotiate and document requirements.
You will also work with mechanical designers to develop drawings
and related fabrication documents.
The Advanced Light Source has been a global leader in soft x-ray
science for more than two decades, and the upgrade project (ALS-U)
currently underway will endow the facility with state-of-the-art
x-ray capabilities and ensure future leadership. You will join a
team that delivers new and upgraded experimental facilities for the
This is a matrix position within the Engineering Division that
supports the wide array of science and technology at LBNL. LBNL was
based on a principle of team science. It is the premise that
everyone on the team or in support of the team is a contributor. No
idea is ignored. All ideas are considered and included in the
discussion. It's an exciting time to join our growing team!
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the
business needs; and skills, knowledge, and abilities of the
What You Will Do:
- Lead the mechanical design, fabrication, testing, and
commissioning of complex UHV systems for particle
- Independently apply engineering principles, methods, and
research techniques to creatively solve complex problems based on
- Accelerator vacuum components to be designed and manufactured
include photon absorbers, collimators, RF shielded bellows and beam
- Work with physicists and other engineers to capture technical
requirements, determine interfaces and integrate the vacuum system
design to the broader accelerator system design.
- Work with manufacturing engineers, vendors and on-site
fabrication facilities to identify viable mechanical fabrication
strategy and prototype aspects of the vacuum system design.
- Perform structural, thermal and vacuum analysis on aspects of
the ALS-U vacuum system
- Develop tolerance stack up analysis.
- Write specifications for technically complex or challenging
procurements; including the gathering and organization of technical
details and requirements.
- Coordinate efforts of other engineers and designers within the
- Develop work instructions and test plans for assembly and
testing of vacuum components
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Supervise the work of technical and professional staff.
What is Required:
- BS degree or equivalent, in mechanical engineering or a related
field and a minimum of 8+ years of related experience in mechanical
design and alignment.
- MS degree or equivalent, in mechanical engineering or a related
field and a minimum of 5+ years of related experience in mechanical
design and alignment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical design and complex UHV
- Experience in the use of 3D CAD software.
- Knowledge of vacuum chamber fabrication techniques including
machining, welding and cleaning methods.
- Knowledge and experience in developing a tolerance
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, conduct and lead
technical projects/programs and to formulate, track and report cost
and schedule data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and interact effectively
with a broad range of colleagues.
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent, in mechanical engineering or a
related field and a minimum of 3+ years of related experience in
mechanical design and alignment.
- 2+ years of experience supervising the work of technical and
- Experience in design and operation of accelerator vacuum
- Experience and familiarity with CREO Parametric 3D CAD
- Experience in vacuum instrumentation including RGA, gauges, UHV
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a Career appointment.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Classification will depend upon the applicant's level of
skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley
Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty,
students, and staff who share our commitment to these values.
Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate
evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any
convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate
to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a
conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant
from being considered for employment.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA
Learn About Us:
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)
Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements,
Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the
COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of
employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must
Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof
that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request
for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and
Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community
with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal
Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome
applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would
contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery,
inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global
community, all qualified applicants will be considered for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or
protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment
Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Keywords: LBL, Lancaster , Mechanical Engineer - Vacuum Systems Lead, Other , California City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!